Saturday, May 9, 2009

A little yellow journalism

About bananas, I mean.

As a new mom with a girl in preschool I feel obligated to have fresh fruit and vegetables on hand at all times. However, lately the preschooler has been none too interested in bananas - so I'm left with a ton of rotting ones at various stages if I'm not careful.

I won't pretend that there isn't already millions of various banana bread recipes - but this one is a keeper for the time challenged. It's not the best crumb you'll find for a banana bread (I find sour cream and a lot of beating is required for that), but it comes together in SECONDS with a spoon and a bowl.

Quick-as-a-flash banana bread

Oven: 350 degrees F

1 cup sugar
3-4 overripe bananas
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
one egg
1/4 c. melted butter
some texture-filler (this can be nuts, leftover raisins or dried cranberries, white or chocolate chips - anything)

Throw together all but last ingredient in a bowl and smash bananas while the rest mixes into a nice yellow batter. Once a good consistency, fold in filler. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and pour in - cook 55 minutes or until knife is clean.

Served warm with butter is my fave.

No comments: