Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dinner parties with high fuss, no fuss

I find that I turn to certain meals depending on whether I invite someone over that likes to help me cook, and others when I don't expect to cook while the guests are there.

Last night we had the Brit over with his lovely family... the Brit is a corporate chef and I have to say in ten years of knowing him, last night was the FIRST time he actually didn't cook! The meal was lovely and we got to use a leftover turkey breast I had bought on sale and frozen:

1. Roasted turkey breast (coated in EVOO, stuffed with your stuffing of choice, dredged in sage/thyme/salt/pepper)
2. Butternut squash risotto with grated asiago cheese and cumin (you can find the recipe here:
3. Steamed broccoli

Above was low fuss but you had to cook while the guests were there (risotto is not forgiving if left!)

Tonight we're having another set of guests over and I'm using my fallbacks (will post pics later):

1) Spinach salad with goat cheese, roasted pears, and candied walnuts (adding scallops if I have time)
2) Wild mushroom lasagne with bechamel sauce
3. White cake with sherried berries and mascarpone cream

This menu is high fuss, but it's all done in advance and comes together within minutes once you decide when to eat!

Bon appetit! It's snowing here so I may have to improvise if I get out later to the grocery store than I'm hoping...

No comments: