Sunday, December 28, 2008

The fledgling toddler cook

So part of this effort is because my three year old is always clamoring to help me cook. Now, three year olds are a special breed. They have a huge vocabulary in that oversized head, and because of this their comments often leave you dumbfounded and wondering why you ever underestimated them. You'll temporarily forget that they are three year olds and - you overestimate them. After which, huge tears and tantrums result.

I have had many previous failed attempts in the kitchen with my daughter but we're just starting to hit a groove. For example, I make flatbread dough almost every Sunday. Epicurious has a great recipe if you search on "flatbread basil oil" (I don't bother with the oil at all). This dough makes amazing grilled pizza and also paninis. It also makes a GREAT diversion for a toddler - she gets a small ball to work with the rolling pin, all the while thinking she's singlehandedly making the Italian Paninis with Herbed Chicken, Carmelized Onions, and Mozzarella.

I have found that she is getting good with the peeler - another reason to keep around the utensils that you'd normally consider too "dull". No utensil is too dull for learning fingers. I also cut up tomatoes and cucumbers and she had a great time stirring the "salad".

Paninis were good but messy, but it was a great use for 2 chicken breasts out of the eight in the family pack I froze in separate ziploc bags, and the leftover fresh mozzarella from last week's pizza. Two chicken breasts making dinner for three and lunch for two isn't too bad.

Just took the sirloin tips out of the freezer and tomorrow is a newfound oldie - Beef Stroganoff. When the economy's down it's all about noodles... I have made it with ground beef even but it still smacks of Hamburger Helper, so the little splurge on the tips is a necessary evil. If it comes out well I'll post the recipe.

No comments: